Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Canadians hmm?

Well I've been meaning to write this blog for awhile, but keep forgeting, so here I go.... while I was in Luang Prabang, Laos, I was eating at this lovely bakery with amazing carrot cake with real cream cheese icing (totally beside the point). We ate at this bakery at least 10 times, seriously, and the staff was so nice. Then one day I went in and the manager, a Canadian, was yelling at her staff in front of all the customers...all of whom were disgusted. Yelling at them for no good reason, telling them that they were ignoring us, which they werent and more and more....anyways I realized that this was the first time, in asia, if not my whole trip that I have seen this, something that I would see often in Canada. It was horrible...how am I going to come home?? hmmm...only kidding, but people here are so calm and relaxed and they dont stress out, it is really a beautiful thing. People dont yell at one another when something goes wrong, if a meal isnt right, if their boat arrives a day late, everything just seems to be okay! One time in Vietnam I was on a local bus that broke down and for 5 hours the driver and assistants had to take engine a part, by the time they were done they were all covered in oil, head to toe, yet the whole time they were still happy, laughing and singing and all of the passengers were happy too. Could you imagine all the yelling that would be going on in Canada. Oh I have so many more examples...the children here are so content, the babies rarely cry, really, I think it is partly because parents here are so calm and for the most part dont yell or get angry and therefore the babies dont pick up on the stress. Well its almost 1 am and Im uber tired...I will add to this blog later, xxmegs

4 comments:

deiss said...

Hi you crazy girl! I love reading about your travels and am waiting for more pics.

Janet Whitehead said...

Deiss what's your email address.. I can send you link to meg's latest photos.
MEG, I sooo understand what you are saying. In Iran, it might be three days before the post office would get around to finding our mail. No big deal, everything was just done in it's time, with lots of tea breaks. I loved it. But other Canadians were always furious!
LOVE, Ma

deiss said...

Hi Janet

deissmcdonald[at]gmail[dot]com

Thanks so much!

Heather Teacher said...

Was she an older lady?? If it was then she is American, hehehe.