Saturday, May 26, 2007

Magic and Fireflies

I am back from amazing Cuc Phuoc National park. Stayed in Ninh binh for one night and then Christiaan and I hired a motorbike to take us just over 2 hours to the National park. From the entrance to the park it was another 20 km to the Pillar house, where we spent the night....away from all other tourists and backpackers (yes they are different) It was SO amazing and magical. We trekked for a few hours just before it got dark...there were so many new sounds and sights.....the highlight for me was the fireflies that came out at sunset..........I could have watched them all night, they are such amazing things. Had noodle soup for breakfast...that was a first (of many Im sure) for me and it was actually Okay. We took another motorbike to a small town where we caught the local bus back to Hanoi...it was far more exciting than the 'tourist' bus that we were convinced to take to Ninh Binh!!!! I think they are not used to having tourists there because when I went to buy lychees they only charged me 1 dollar for 2 kg.....so incredibly cheap!!! The people here are so lovely, contrary to what most people say, and they DONT spit!!!!! The food is really good although Im on my 5th or 6th week of nothing staying in my stomach!!! Perhaps I should get that checked out :) Later, Megs

3 comments:

Janet Whitehead said...

fireflies, magic.. heavenly. BUT YES YOU SHOULD GET THAT TUMMY CHECKED OUT!!! Read your email from me!!!
I love you

cheryl said...

Hi Meg,
I love reading about your adventures. You have such a talent for writing and I can really visualize you there. Please don't take you health lightly. You are living like a local but are not immune to the native bacteria and diseases. Get yourself well again so you can carry on.
Take care and continue on with your journey.
Love,
Cheryl

nico said...

Hello mea mea, I was just reading your past messages, what amazing experiences you're having. Yes, I agree with Cheryl, you have a great way of letting us envision where you are and the scenes of the day. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the movie, neat experience, even though it took awhile for you to thaw out. Too bad the make-up artistry wasn't better as that would have been an interesting process to see. The scenery throughout your travels sounds amazing!Trying to think of exciting things to tell you, but no great stories to share. *Do check in with a Doc. as parasites and other things can make your tummy bad and thats not very enjoyable for you. Hope you feel better soon and love hearing of your travel experiences. Take care and lots of fun with so many beautiful people and places to visit. Nicole :)