Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Hello from Kunming, in the Yunnan province in China. I spent the last week in Yangshuo, a 'quiet' village FILLED with tourists....not just backpackers but TOURISTS. Definitely not China. The countryside was filled with limestone? Karsts, so lovely, and the li river meandering through the town!! I stayed at a guest house named 'lisas,' met some amazing people who were staying in my dorm all from Israel. So now I've added another country to my list of must visits. It rained or rather poured most of the time I was there....I washed my clothes on Saturday morning and on monday morning they still werent dry....ugh!!!!

China is so hmmmmm.......interesting...I ate at this dumpling place a few times in Yangshuo....they always make the dumplings on the table near where you eat, on my last day there the man was smoking and making them and even better yet, they brought in the cat and started combing it.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! right beside the dumplings!!!!! And People dont just spit here, they Hork (no idea how to spell it) Unlike Korea where it is just spitting and usually only men spit, here everyone does, it is so animated, loud and rather disgusting, especially when your sitting in the back of a taxi and the spit flies back and hits you!!!! And one more thing SNOT ROCKETS...so gross, heres what you do to create a snot rocket, cover one of your nostrils with your finger and then blow as hard as you can so that all the snot comes out of your other nostril....you can blow it out the car window, in the garbage can, on the sidewalk, in the stores.....anywhere you feel like it....so disgusting.

I survived my second long train ride, 20 hours long...it actually went by so so fast, even if I was like a monkey in a cage.....the old lady above and across from me stared at me almost the whole time she was awake......

I have 2 weeks left in China and then off to Vietnam!!!
Despite what I have written about the rain, snot rockets, and being a monkey, I am having an amazing time in China........Later, megs

2 comments:

Janet Whitehead said...

too funny. Do you gag? or are you so used to eating weird foods and seeing strange things that it all seems 'normal'? you'll be the most tolerant person of all things when you get back to Canada! Love you!

nico said...

Hi Mea Mea, (so glad you take the time to write in your Blog)I have thought about you and your travel adventures many times and am so happy you are living and creating the life you want! Of course, right now I'm living my travelling dreams vicariously through you :) I have wanted to go to Vietnam for a long time, I look forward to hearing about your experiences there. Hopefully some better food and public displays of hygiene. When you were in Korea did you see the huge stone carving in the rock of Buddha (it's in South Korea)? I've seen it in many foreign films and it looks amazing. I think I would have to rent storage places or do a lot of mailing home with all the purchases I'd like to make throughout my travels. Are you keeping it simple? Your mama is so cute, she's so excited for Courtney and anticipating 'bun'. Well I must get back to work, have a wonderful, lovely day. Take care, Nicole