Saturday, July 21, 2007

Thailand

Im in Thailand now, although yesturday I had a tad bit of a hard time getting across the border. My 4 hour journey to Trat, took 12 hours and I ended up in Bangkok....At 6:30 in the morning took a share taxi from battamabang to the Pailin border crossing to Thailand, its open to foreigners but not that commonly used, I paid so much money for this car that they crammed full of supplies and people, that Im sure I paid far more than all the others combined. I arrived at the crossing and the Cambodian border guard showed me a new regulation, keep in mind he spoke barely any English. The sign said that in order to cross into Thailand you needed to have travel arrangements or a bus ticket. It was unclear, so the Cambodian officer drove me to the Thai side, who didnt speak any English, because I didnt have the documentation they wanted and they wouldnt take a bribe?!!? I couldnt get across. Ahhhhh. So they let me know that there was another crossing that a motorbike could take me to, where I could buy a bus ticket?, now this border crossing was 2 hours away and NOT on the map...so I hopped on the back of the bike and headed through the middle of nowhere. At the time I arrived I saw a group of foreigners and I was shocked....so I ended up having to pay a huge amount of money for the cambodian side to print me a fake bus ticket, just to prove that I had travewlled in cambodia I guess?! They told me that there was a mini bus heading to Bangkok and that it was leaving right away and if I didnt take it he couldnt help me....which was true. I went through the border and hopped on a bus to Bangkok full of tourists, eventhough trat was only 45 minutes away there was NO one to take me!!! Turns out that the driver, a lovley german man, has a business of doing visa runs for people living in thailand but from other countries, and it just so happened that at the exact time I was there he had brought a group of people to re start their visas and had he not been there I would have been up shit creek with out a paddle. Once I found this out I understood why the thai border officer called over the other officer to tell her that it was my 1st time in Thailand and he shared his food with me :) Claudio told me that NO ONE uses that crossing!!!

When I arrived in Bangkok I was unprepared because I wasnt expecting to end up there....Claudio invited me to stay with his family for the night and it happened to be his sons birthday party, I met a whole house full of amazing thais and ate the most amazing food!! Today Im heading to Koh Samet for 5 days before meeting up with Ash again Bangkok!!!! Later, megs

7 comments:

Unknown said...

MeMe!! Your mother is going to have a fit when she reads this one!!! Ahhhhh!!!

Janet Whitehead said...

yes, yes, she is! having a fit, that is! Megan Pauline Unruh, could you be just a little more traditional in your travelling? Like maybe take a nice touristy tour or something? Or maybe come home now? I think I'll start my own blog.. Mom of a wild World Adventurer. Maybe you could just sit still in some nice safe place for awhile? I'm checking airfares to come check on you! Enough rant, thank goodness for your resourcefulness. You always get what you want.. maybe not the right town, but at least the right country. Ha! Eat only peeled fruit and cooked food. I know I've been really really good about your travelling, but you know, now I think I need daily updates. Humour me for a bit! (smile) (hmm,maybe i need daily phonecalls!) Be safe, be touristy for awhile! Lots of Love, Mom ps. Casper misses you. (not that I'm trying to make you feel like you should come home or anything) I won't go so far as to mention Evalee!
There. that's my worried Mom rant. You gotta admit I've been good.

Janet Whitehead said...

ps. you're awesome!

Janet Whitehead said...

oh look, a day has gone by. time to check in!

ken/dad said...

megan,its your dad here, i am also worried like your mother,please be careful,remember we all love you and want you home safe and sound,hopefully thailand will work out better for you or maybe you could just go back to south korea,it sounded a lot safer there
anyway you take care hope to see you soon so i can give you a big hug. love always dad

Drena said...

Hello Megan: I would have also been so fretful as a mom. You wild world adventurer as your mom calls you. haha. Hope you are safe and it is fun to read your blogs. Ashley also has a blog now and it is great to read. We moms feel better when one is travelling in a group. Cheers Drena Ashley's mom Give her big hugs when you see her in Bangkok.

Janet Whitehead said...

found some cheap airfares...